Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Positive Psychology Lecture 5 (Lizzie)

Happiness-5th Lecture - The Power of the Situation

Elizabeth Randall
Was Due: August 18, 2014
The Happiness Project
HW #2: Reaction Paper
Dr. Tal: Lecture 5
“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened, Happiness never decreases by being shared.” –Buddha

This quote instantly made me think of Lucy from I Love Lucy, and how she truly is a single candle that has lit up thousands of candles all over the world including my own. I grew up loving I Love Lucy, her playful comedic antics never failed to make me laugh even to this day no matter how many times I’ve seen a particular episode. I can still remember being that little girl staying home late at night watching I Love Lucy reruns with a bowl of cereal laughing till my stomach hurt.

Growing up I’ve always thought of Lucy as my security blanket, anytime I was sad or lonely she was always the person that could cheer me up and make me feel better. Although she has been able to touch millions throughout the decades with her timeless show, I was never able to find someone close to me who really saw Lucy the way I saw her. Then much to my pleasant surprise, I recently found out how much Lucy not only means to me but to Shawn as well. As we were
watching one of her episodes one night, he told me how he grew up loving I Love Lucy  reruns. He said at first he watched the show because there wasn’t anything more interesting on TV at that time (which was late-night TV shows/infomercials), but then after a few episodes fell in love with Lucy’s unbelievable ability to make you laugh uncontrollably. While we were sharing our childhood memories about the love of all things Lucy, we couldn’t help but laugh along with the episodes playing as we ate our dinner in our usual routine. I thought to myself, how amazing is it to have found someone that feels for I Love Lucy the way I’ve always felt growing up. To be able to share in the laughter together meant so much to me at that particular point, because we were able to imagine how we’d continue the laughter along with our kids one day.

“Happiness is contagious. If I am happier, I am more likely to contribute to other people’s happiness and wellbeing.” –Dr. Tal

「一隻蠟燭能點亮成千上萬蠟燭,而這隻蠟燭壽命亦不會縮短,快樂絕對不會因為共享而相對減少」- 佛祖箴言。

這句箴言馬上讓我想起「我愛露西」裡的露西,以及她真的是一隻蠟燭,已經點亮了世界各地,成千上萬隻蠟燭還包括我。從小我就喜歡「我愛露西」,直到現在無論看了多少次特定情節,她俏皮幽默的滑稽動作,從來沒有不讓我捧腹發笑。記得我還是個小女孩,深夜在家看「我愛露西」重播,一碗麥片的內容讓我笑得肚疼
長大後我一直認為露西是我的心靈寄託,只要悲傷或孤獨時,她總是鼓勵我讓我感覺更好。雖然她的演出紅遍全世界幾十年,我從未能找到身邊人,看露西像我看她的方式一樣。然後令人驚喜的是我最近發現到,露西不僅對我,也對Shawn具有意義。有天晚上我們一起看她的劇集,他告訴我在他成長過程裡,有多愛「我愛露西」重播。他說一開始是因為沒有其他有趣的節目 (深夜電視都是購物節目),所以他看了「我愛露西」,但看了幾集他愛上了露西,讓你笑到失聲,令人難以置信的能力。我們分享童年記憶裡關於愛露西的一切,在我們的晚餐慣例播放露西劇集,並忍不住哈哈大笑。我心想,多棒啊已經找到對「我愛露西」的感覺,和我成長期時同樣的人。能在一起共同歡笑,是我最具深義迫切所需的,因為可以想像有一天,還能和我們的孩子一起歡笑。


快樂可以傳播,如果我很快樂,我更可能讓其他人快樂」-Dr. Tal


No comments:

Post a Comment