Elizabeth Randall
The Happiness Project
HW #1: Reaction Paper
Eat, Pray, Love: Ch.1-18
Reading Eat, Pray, Love now reminds me of the last time I read
this book. It was right before the movie came out, which coincidentally was on
my birthday in 2010, and all I could remember was wanting to watch the movie of
the book I couldn’t put down. In a way Eat, Pray, Love and then The Secret
changed my life forever. I remember being enamored with this book because I was
going through a hard point in my relationship with Herman, and I dreaded it
being my birthday again because I didn’t want another sad birthday two years in
a row. I remember feeling exactly how Liz felt when she was lying on her
bathroom floor sobbing saying, “I don’t want to be married anymore. I don’t want
to live in this big house. I don’t want to have a baby.” Although I wasn’t
saying those exact things because deep down I really do want to be married,
live in a big house, and have a baby. I
just didn’t want to have those things with Herman. But it wasn’t until I
watched The Secret that finally gave me the push I needed to make the decision
to be happy and free on my own. That was
the first time I understood how hard it must have been for Liz to leave the
life she had built to search for a life she wants rather than a life full of
“common expectations”. For me it was easy searching for and getting what I
wanted because I had an exact idea of who I wanted, but the hard part is what
happens after. Now that I’ve found my dream partner I’m just realizing how hard
it is to maintain the relationship I want, while setting up a home together,
while thinking of the future. How can I possibly jump to being married, live in
a big house, and have a baby basically run if I haven’t even learned how to
crawl or walk? So now this is something
I have to learn just like Liz did... How to find one’s balance and happiness?
No comments:
Post a Comment